Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Week 1 in Rossendale











Hello! A lot has happened this past week. My companion is Sister Limb and she is from Utah...so close.  I am stationed in Rossendale and we are completely whitewashed...so I'm not the only one that is clueless -my companion is as well. (definition of whitewash in the mission field-- to open a new area, with a brand new companionship to top it off...can be difficult to build new relationships/history)  But this area is gorgeous! The weather is extremely bipolar. It's on a constant cycle of rain, hail, snow, and sunshine. But the people here are super nice. The field is so different from the MTC but its a good difference. We have mostly been meeting with members since we don't know anyone in Rossendale. The elders have been a huge help since even though there is only one ward of 60-70 active members. 

Sister Limb has been incredible. She and I have had so much fun together. She has been very patient, especially since she has had to whitewash and train me at the same time. But I have been learning so much from her and the members. We have investigators but we just haven't met them yet.... they are always either busy or sick. But we have been door knocking quite a bit.  I actually enjoy door knocking.  People are really polite and say at least a no thank you as they close the door- haha. The thing is that my area is so small that everybody has already met with the missionaries or had them knock at their door.  But sometimes they have no problem talking. Like the Jehovah's witnesses are so nice here. They are basically trying to convert us. We exchanged cards with them. 

Even though we haven't necessarily taught any investigators, I love teaching the members. The members are just so friendly and LOVE missionary work. One family literally has a missionary album of past missionaries that have come to their ward and their wedding invitations. It is so nice teaching actual people and just getting to know all the members.

Mom, you asked if I've yet had an opportunity to play piano or sing...YES! haha, right when I arrived to the mission home I had to play the piano and when they sent me to my ward the organist had a stroke so I came just in time. I also have already played and sang for a nursing home (which was the most gorgeous place, if I were to live in a nursing home, I want to go to that one). 

The missionary daily schedule really isn't that bad. I think the worst part is waking up in the morning but I got over it pretty fast. I forgot to mention that British shops are so cool here. They have the best things. And in our flat, which by the way is super nice, there's is one of those pillows that I am obsessed with; that you can move the sequins and on the other side it's a different color. But the boiler in our room is super annoying. We have to reset it almost twice everyday and Sister Limb and I keep on debating who goes first, since the one who goes last has to take a cold shower. 

The bus pass is super expensive but I get reimbursed. The most I spend my money on is chocolate. Remind me before I go home to fill my suitcase with kinder Buenos; they are heaven in a plastic wrapper!  Also, why don't we have kettles?  They are so handy.  Also, go to the store and get couscous...You will like it. It's like rice but better and you can have it with curry. You won't regret it. Anyways, I miss you guys and I will definitely pray for you. I love you and I am doing great. 

Sister sever

(mom note:  Bonus...the mother of Sidney's new companion/trainer made contact with me and shared her daughter's email for the week. So sweet to hear her description of Sidney!! Below is from Sister Limb:
"I was so nervous because I haven’t trained a new missionary before and when I met the new ones I had a feeling when I saw my trainee that it was her before they even announced it. So I am grateful to have her because she has been AMAZING I am so grateful for Gods decisions to give me something better than I could have imagined. Sister Sever is amazing and exactly what I needed. She has been patient with me while I have been figuring out how to train and to whitewash at the same time, but it’s been really good. She is the happiest person I have ever met. The amount of faith she has is amazing and she makes me want to be better everyday. I have tried harder to help her have a good start to her mission. She already has good teaching skills and finding skills, she isnt scared to say hi to people or Tract for a long time. I am so grateful for her and I have so much to learn. We have been laughing so much this week, seriously it’s been a long time since I have laughed this hard. We are good friends already:) i know I needed her influence before I go home in a couple months."
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment